Saturday 28 May 2011

Building blocks to language

A recent post about last month's Hello campaign, looked at the hidden parts of language learning, the building blocks to successful communication. Sometimes when a child has been referred because he's not talking, a parent can't understand why we're not working on their speech. We play posting games, sing songs, blow bubbles, maybe use the parachute and have snack-time to work on the foundations for language. The diagram above illustrates the 'pyramid' and the priority order.




I have others who are desperate for the therapists to work on their sounds but the level of the child's language and communication isn't sufficient to be able to do this, as their understanding and expressive language needs to develop first. A student recently asked me why, when the child's speech sounds were so bad was I not working on them and again, I showed her the pyramid to help explain.


There is much more on this for parents looking for ideas in Frances Evesham's kindle book,'How to help your child talk and grow smarter', available at Amazon.






2 comments:

  1. This is really new idea for me. I will try this to help my son learn new language. Thank for share this info

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to going over your web page again. yahoo login

    ReplyDelete