Friday 17 July 2020

Welcome Tara

Hello, I am Tara and I will be working with Small Talk speech and language therapy as a speech and language therapist based in Rugeley. I am excited to share my journey as a speech and language therapist with Small Talk as their commitment to “helping children achieve their true potential” is very important to me. I will mostly be working across Staffordshire and the surrounding areas, although as a car driver I will be travelling further afield on occasions. I will also be providing teletherapy (online therapy/advice) during the current circumstances and going forward I will continue this service for those who would prefer to use this method and it is mutually felt suitable.

I have two children, both currently in primary school, who love all things Pokémon, Roblox and Minecraft. They also love the outdoors and we often visit parks and various National Trust sites to connect, explore and have some much-needed freedom in nature.


My youngest had speech and language therapy between the age of 18months and 4years which sparked my interest in the field. I feel that this has given me a unique insight into working as a speech and language therapist as I have personal experience of navigating and working with services which helps me to genuinely empathise with the parents which I work with. I will not bore you here with the details but feel free to ask me and I will talk for hours about my boys.

Qualifications and experience:

I have a BSc (Honours) degree in speech and language therapy and a diploma in children’s care, learning and development. I have experience in using Makaton with my children and in educational settings. I have started a level 1 BSL course during lockdown which I plan to progress with to develop my skills (I’ve shared it now, no pressure) following a wonderful placement working with d/Deaf children which made me think differently about the ways in which I communicate with others. This is one of my in-progress qualifications as it will take time and practice. I have completed a number of introductory courses to increase my awareness in a number of areas and welcome any questions about these.

My clinical experiences have been with a range of individuals across all age ranges and I have been fortunate to have experienced working in a variety of settings including acute wards, community clinics, children’s centres, individual’s homes, care homes, preschools, nurseries, schools and SEN provisions.

What can I offer?

I can provide screening, detailed assessments and personalised therapy for children and young adults with speech, language and communication difficulties.

I can also offer communication groups, as well as training and support for parents and those working with children and young adults with speech, language and communication difficulties.
I am keen to work with other professionals to ensure that individuals and their families receive the most appropriate support.

I have flexible working hours and I am available both in and out of term time. 

Please feel free to contact me should you have any queries. If there is one thing that I have learnt during my years as a parent and a student is that “no question is a silly question” so you are more than welcome to contact me. You will often find it is not a ‘silly’ question and often a question that others have asked before or many are wondering the answer to.

You may see me wearing my tinted glasses at times, I don’t wear them all the time. So, here is a picture of me with them on so that it isn’t such a surprise if you do see me with them as they do look a little bit different. They can look different colours at times, magic glasses! Some people say they look a bit like sunglasses, although I wear them inside as well as outside.
 

Tara Wilson

tarawilson@smalltalk-ltd.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment