Tuesday 18 June 2013

You might think we’re ‘just’ having a snack....

But I’m actually..


·       Making a choice of snack and drink which is really important.

·       having a good reason to communicate

·       Increasing my confidence. 

·       Taking part in one of the best communication opportunities of the day. Notice how they only give me a little bit so I have to ask for more. The word ‘more’ is a good word to build from 1 to 2 words together.

·       Working in my expressive language skills: they expect me to request in the best way I can and they push me to do a little more when they know I am able

Working on language and communication skills is best done in real everyday situations. We need to make sure we are giving a reason to communicate, an opportunity and a means. The means can be pointing first then answering a forced alternative e.g. do you want water or juice? Put the one you think he wants last to begin with so he can copy easily at first.  One of the biggest causes of language delay today is that we don't expect enough of our children and we give them what they want without making them work for it. We take away the opportunities and reasons to communicate so their means of communicating doesn't need to progress.

Hanen have a great term called 'owling' and we all need to do  more of this:

  • Observe
  • Wait
  • Listen
 Take a step back and see every day activities as opportunities for communication...
So don't just provide food and drink, use snack or mealtime to help your child's language skills!

 We can show you how if you come to one of our sessions www.smarttalkers.org.uk




3 comments:

  1. I think in many situation Libby we rescue our children and often do things for them and speak for them when they could be having a go themselves. I realise that this is not in every case but stepping back when we know we can/should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tutor. Your way of presentation is really too good. I am totally impressed by your post. Services in Translation

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are perfect for gathering information for referrals as well as annual reviews from teachers to get a good picture of the child to determine strengths and weaknesses and educational impact

    ReplyDelete